What is Kambo?
Natives of the Amazon basin have long used the secretions of the Phyllomedusa Bicolor or monkey frog as a 'vaccine' to ward off illness, bad luck, and to give hunting strength. Patrons of this traditional shamanic healing modality report immense physical and psychological benefit from its application when used therapeutically.
Kambo is non-hallucinogenic and it does not affect your state of consciousness. It acts as a method to connect the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies, allowing deep self-reflection. In treatments with Kambo, you remain aware of the present moment. Moreover, while participating in a Kambo treatment, you may notice the ability to explore deeper feelings. Many say that Kambo's intensity creates an opening, a sense of well-being, freedom, and a spiritual sense of completion. Whether you are religious, spiritual, or both, there is a sense of connection to your higher self and your soul's divine purpose through this work.
Through Kambo, the mind is often made quite clear and focused and some say they receive specific messages. The initial experience with Kambo is often intense while the energetic and health benefits usually come in the days and weeks that follow the session. Additionally, while in treatments, you may notice that Kambo provides deep awareness of specific events and inward reflection during the purging process, possibly discovering the root to emotional pain and psychological struggles.
Kambo is legal to practice and use in the United States
Kambo treatments can target specific areas that align with symptoms described by the recipient. This method allows for rapid transformation and targeted healing. Kambo is applied to the skin and often takes mere minutes to resonate with your body.
Recipients often feel a rush of heat to their face and head, followed by waves of purging brought on by the medicine.
As the body integrates the medicine, recipients describe a sense of letting go, wholeness, and calm. This is the beginning of the transformative shift toward natural wellness.
What to Expect
A typical Kambo ceremony lasts about 2.5 hours. Kambo works mostly to purge the body of toxins and what is called "panema" or heaviness, dullness of the body and spirit. Applied topically to the skin through small burns, Kambo invokes a very physical experience involving feelings of heat throughout the body and is usually followed by vomiting and sometimes diarrhea as the body purges toxins from various organs. The time spent in the peak of the cleansing and purgative process can be as short as 10 minutes and as long as a couple of hours.
Working with Kambo
I humbly believe working with a Kambo Cleanse includes establishing a foundation of integrity intention, partnership, and trust. Once we have the required details managed, we will have a consultation to get to know one another.
- What's your physical, mental, and emotional condition?
- Do you meet the upfront requirements to work with Kambo? (review contradictions noted below)
- Why do you want to work with Kambo?
- What is your commitment level?
Health and Kambo
For most individuals, Kambo is safe when administered responsibly by an experienced practitioner. There are conditions in which I understand Kambo would not be appropriate.
Please note the following conditions in which I am not trained to support and do not work with. This list is not an exhaustive list; generally use of Kambo would not be for you if you have had or are dealing with health related issues that would be directly affected by the peptides and their biological implications, or have had or are presently dealing with any of the following conditions:
- Active ulcers
- Addison's Disease
- Brain hemorrhage
- Blood clots
- Boerhaave’s Syndrome
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatments of less than 6 weeks prior or 6 weeks afterwards
- Chronic inflammatory response syndrome due to mold exposure
- Congestive heart disease
- Gastro-intestinal reflux
- Heart bypass surgery
- Heart valve replacement surgery
- History of smoking
- Implanted cardioverter defibrillators
- Enlarged heart
- Low blood pressure if on medication
- Nursing with 3 months
- Oesophagus/Esophagus varices
- Organ transplant
- Physical trauma or injury to the neck
- Participating in water based detox methods of fasting rituals
- Portal Hypertension
- Serious mental health conditions, excluding depression and anxiety
- Severe injury or trauma to the Oesophagus/Esophagus from endoscopy
- Severe liver disease
- Tumors/Ulcers in the throat
- Untreated eosinophilic esophagitis
More About Kambo
Kambo contains a powerful combination of bio-active peptides. These powerful peptides and their biological implications are as follows:
Phyllomedusin and Phyllokinin
- Potent vessel dilators
- Increases the permeability of the blood-brain barrier which facilitates access to the brain of these two peptides, as well as other active peptides
- Strongly affects intestines, bowels, and contributes to deep purging
Phllocaerulin and Sauvagine
- Both cause a fall in blood pressure accompanied by tachycardia which is a heart rate that exceeds a normal resting rate
- Stimulate the adrenal cortex and the pituitary gland, contributing to heightened sensory perception and increased stamina
- Possess a strong analgesic effect, enhance endurance, increase physical strength, and in general, enhance the capacity to face pain and stressful situation
- Digestive aids, and have demonstrated analgesic effects for those with renal colic, pain due to peripheral vascular insufficiency, and cancer pain
Dermophin and Deltorphin
- Potent mu-opiod receptor agonist
- 4000 times stronger than morphine
- 40 times stronger than endogenic b-endorphines
- Potent antimicrobial for both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria
- Antiviral for herpes simplex virus
- Acts on the adenosine receptors. These receptors play various roles in the heart such as:
- Regulating myocardial oxygen consumption and coronary blood flow
- Anti-inflammatory effects throughout the body
- Support brain functions by regulating the release of other neurotransmitters such as dopamine and glutamate
- Peripherally and are involved in processes such as inflammation and immune responses
Please note that while research is still ongoing, all of Kambo's properties are not scientifically understood.
While the full scientific understanding of this traditional healing modality is still being researched, please browse the resource section below for publications regarding the known science and practices around Kambo. There you will also find a non-exhaustive list of Kambo's peptides and their associated health and biological traits.
Peter Gorman, Sapo in My Soul
"Sapo frog: strange medicine that sharpens the senses"
Kambo-Scientific Research Healing Treatments
TV Show "The Doctors" on Kambo: Featuring Simon Scott
Kambo: Alternative Amazonian Healing Technique
ABC News- Cleansing with Kambo
Huffington Post, Scientists Collaborating with Shamans in the Amazon:
Psychedelic Times, Kambo for Emotional Relief and in Difficult Times:
Venom Based Medicines and Use:
Kambo for Treatment and Prevention of Herpes:
Investigating the medicinal benefits of Kambo:
Frog secretions used as hunting magic in the upper Amazon
Peptides Adensine Receptor:
Science Daily: Vanderbilt University Medical Center on Frog Peptides
Kambo Peptide Adenoregulin:
Kambo Peptide: Dermorphin - related peptides from the skin and their amidated analogs activate two mu-opiod receptor subtypes that modulate anticiception and catalepsy in the rat:
Kambo Peptide Phyllokinin:
Kambo use in Professional Athletes Recovery:
The Essential Guide to Kambo: